10.09.2008

I need to start cooking

My self-discipline is woefully weak.

Practically every day, I bring food to work - because it's cheaper to bring lunch, I have leftovers, food that needs to be eaten and I hate to waste it - et cetera et cetera et cetera. (Please read that with a Yul Brynner-style Siamese accent.)
And practically every day, I see the school lunch menu and I don't want to eat the food that I brought anymore.

The same thing happened to me in college. I would walk past the Cougareat during lunchtime, smelling and seeing the delicious pasta from The Italian Place, pizza from Freschetta, rice bowls from Teriyaki Stix (pretty much anything hot looked good). And I would mournfully munch on my bagel and apple.
Back then it was easier, because a good lunch for less than $4 was hard to find.

Now, at $2.25? No self-discipline, I tell you.
Those lunch ladies cook some pretty good chicken alfredo.

4 comments:

  1. I would absolutely buy the school lunch, and use your leftovers for dinners. There's no way you could prepare those meals yourself for $2.25. Or at least, I couldn't, here in the OK. Perhaps food is still cheaper in the UB.

    Sorry, I'm not helping, am I?

    ReplyDelete
  2. School lunches are so much better now than I remember them being in elementary school. SO, I agree with the person above me. Just buy the lunch and leave the guilt at the cafeteria door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for helping me justify myself, both of you. And I agree Ashley--much better than I remember.
    Not that I was ever picky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel..I must tell you I occasionally have this same dilema at my school. We don't have quite as good of meals as we did in high school, because I remember I began eating them senior year and they were quite tasty. However, we do have some yummy meals out at Canyon Elementary. I find it easier to resist when I bring a good meal from home and no so easy when all I have is a sandwhich. I understand I do!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.