9.22.2008

Oh Maya

You might think that a high school library is a quiet, unassuming place, and that working there is a tedious job. And if you did, you might be wrong. Like I was.

Exhibit A: UHS library at lunchtime.

When I was a student here many many years ago, I avoided this place like I avoid painkillers: Only if absolutely necessary, please. If I had no class (college classes, Fridays) I was either at Seminary, The College or someone else's house. Not these kids. Who knew the school library was the new hip hangout place?

Exhibit B:

A student's mother quietly protests the curriculum covering The Crucible for said student's English class. She has prepared a list of objectionable content in both the book and the movie (huge differences between the two). The librarian happens to be head of the English Department, so I get to eavesdrop on this ongoing conversation.

Questionable content in books and movies is a sensitive topic 'round these parts these days.
Thank you Tabiona teachers. How do we decide who, when, and how much to expose our students to? Is 'sheltering' students beneficial to them or harmful?  Sarah Palin is accused of being a book-burner while I read a biography about a young girl who was raped.


As a historian (yes, fresh out of college), my outlook on this issue is probably different than most, although I'm conflicted as well. Why have other human beings been subjected to so much suffering if not for the rest of us to learn from their experiences? How can we grow into compassionate, charitable people if we turn a blind eye to all the evil in this world? At the same time, how do we maintain our own security, preserve our own souls from the harrowing that could occur by immersing ourselves in that evil?
After all, Jesus Christ did not turn away from even the vilest of sinners; He descended below them all. Somehow He loved them while condemning the horrible things they did.

I understand and sympathize with parents who want to protect their children. Honestly, I think parents should be the one to make this call. But maybe they should make it consciously, with a decision to discuss historical issues - consequences of choices and how we got to where we are - with their children. (Note:
historical. I think the only junk considered for schools should be junk that actually happened;
 otherwise it becomes a glorification of evil. One thing I've learned is that real, honest history never glorifies evil .... if anything, it deters us from the glaring ugliness. Visit a concentration camp if you don't believe me.)

I guess in the end we each make our own decisions.
Isn't that the way it is with everything in life? Yay for agency!

Now I'm going to go read Elie Wiesel's Night. Can't wait.

3 comments:

  1. Really excellent post.

    I was in "The Crucible" (play) and I loved it. But, as we all know, I am entirely desensitized.

    I've often wondered about this issue: how much is too much for students to read/learn about? And what should parents protest? If they were showing "Knocked Up" in health class, you can bet I'd be banging down the door to rescue my child's innocent eyes . . . but at the same time, I'm mostly okay with the reading of things that involve rape and murder and abuse, if those things are, like you said, true accounts of events from which we can learn valuable lessons.

    Huh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. W.O.W. That Sub has some nerve! No wonder there's controversy surrounding the book. How fun to work in the library! Keep us updated on whether that creepy boy comes by anymore! :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elie Weisel's book is Heavy. Really. With a capital H. Make sure you have a couple hours after you finish to just sit and think.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.