9.03.2008

Blog du jour



Dear Blog:

I've thought about you for a long time. I've read quite a few of you written by others, and even loved some, but I didn't know if I was ready to commit. Commit to the exposure, the possible criticism, and most importantly, the time.
I guess you could say I was afraid.

But today, after reading and seeing the outreach of thousands of bloggers culminating in NieNie day (and, I'll admit, after attempting to read
Nie's entire blog in one sitting), I couldn't help but feel inspired.
There is humanity on the internet after all.

And I made a decision; a pledge. I pledge to write. Not for myself, the thoughts and feelings I've sometimes put to paper and stashed away in some private place, to be visited only by me or my posterity (after I'm dead). Not for my professors, scholarly articles and historiographic essays that only a historian specializing in early modern European Christianity and Families would understand. I want to write for others--"others" that I love and laugh with and see often; "others" that I don't see as often as I would like, "others" whom I may not have met but want to someday--to read, think about, perhaps even be inspired by.

This way maybe I can give back. Contribute somehow to the outpouring of love that I have witnessed. Take part in what I feel is a monumental undertaking.
(Oh, and write.)

It's time to give back.
Here goes.

4 comments:

  1. YAY!

    Dude, why you no let me know about this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. fig, I'm conducting an experiment called "how many people find my blog without me telling them about it?"
    I conducted a similar experiment about 4 months ago called "how many people know I'm engaged without me telling them?" --Only that one backfired because most people knew BEFORE I did. Including Rob and Tressa.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It included me too.

    Because they told me.

    Do you want me to unlink you from my blog, in the interest of the experiment? 'Cause I already added you to my blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you can't beat the Roosevelt network for news. You can leave my link on your page, that will work out nicely. Besides, I'm honored to be there already.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.