9.26.2008

Back to the Future

I picked up my flute last night for the first time in *ahem* years. And I was pleasantly surprised at how much I still remembered. At first.

Then I went to community orchestra and realized just how much I've LOST- breath support, embouchure, high-note fingerings,
counting abilities..... Basically I've become one of those flautists I used to disdain. Serves me right, I think.

I had also forgotten just how much I love to play in a large group. There was a
reason I spent 8 years (how many hundreds of hours?) in band; that passion hasn't left me. Bubbles of laughter kept escaping - was it glee? - from me throughout the entire practice. Em's quiet panic, Matt's nonchalance, my mother's amusement, and my own incompetence all combined for an hour-and-a-half of unrestrained joy. Oh wow.

So
I decided something last night. I will never let my flute sit, unused, for that long again.

It missed me too much.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel Jean, this is very true! Band is/was probably the best thing, ever! However, I'm not quite sure about the "nonchalance" in the band room. More concentration, less thinking about how on earth I'm going to breathe! Haha! Signed, Nasty Butler (AKA Matt)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.