9.08.2008

Back to School

When I left Roosevelt two months after graduating high school, I knew my life would never be the same. Gone were the days of racing cars on old airport roads, walking under bridges, making Sobe bombs and blowing up propane tanks....I think that's enough detail to make you wonder who my parents are. (And yes, they DID know what I was doing.)
Gone, gone, (almost) gone, and gone.

I was away at college for almost three years; my mischief-making changed tone. Instead of spray-painting sidewalks and canoeing in the dark, I was bar-hopping in downtown Vienna, riding waterbuses in Venice without paying, and taking midnight hikes with no flashlights.
I repented for the waterbus. (See here for the Biggest-Guilt-Trip-of-My-Life. Given the very next day.)

But I digress. Here I am back in Roosevelt and, it seems, on the other side of the world. I'm married, for one thing....I'm going back to high school for another.
I start my new job tomorrow as a library aide.
Mixed feelings, not only because it's high school and I was a student there 3 years ago and I'll be a library aide, but also because I'll be working as a peer to my former teachers. Common small-town occurence? Perhaps. I don't care; I'm still not accustomed to many of those.

Another thing I start tomorrow: voice lessons! I'm giving my first one, hopefully only the first of many to come.
Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. That is so exciting about the voice lessons! You'll do great.

    And as far as the "peer to your former teachers" thing. It is awkward at first. Then it isn't anymore. Like magic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always thought it looked fun to be a library aid. Aide?

    Also - ditto again! Sort of. I've not actually been in your position, but have thought about it a lot, particularly when I was an English major doing the Secondary Education program and imagining myself taking Tana's job someday.

    Pretty sure that's not going to happen now, but for a time I was quite convinced it was in my future to spend my days across the hall from Mr. Willis. Oy!

    You'll be a great library aide. Is Margo still there? I love that dude!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.