9.17.2008

The strangest things happen in the library

One day while sitting at my desk, I notice a boy (young man?) standing at the counter, watching me.
Me: "Can I help you?"
No answer.
A few seconds later I ask again, "What do you need?"
Boy: "Oh nothing." He doesn't move or look away.
Confused me.

Lunchtime the same day--same boy at the counter again.
He hesitates for a moment, then asks, "Um... what's your name?"
Me: "Rachel Morgan."
"What?"
"Rachel Morgan."
"How do you spell that?"
Baffled me: R-A-C-H-E-L. M-o-r-g-a-n. (I had to spell it out slowly; he was writing on a sticky note.)
"OK." Boy returns to his computer.

He returns moments later. "Do you have a last name?"
Me: "Yes, it's Morgan."
"You don't have another one?"
(Starting to get suspicious) "No."
"Do you have a middle name?"
(Lying blatantly now) "No."
"Don't you have a first name?"
"Uh, yeah. It's Rachel. I told you."
"Any other names?"
"WHY???" I finally ask.
"Because I want to look you up on the internet....to see how old you are."

Me (starting to get creeped out): "??? You could just ask me."
"No. I want to look you up. "
"You're not going to find me on the internet."
"I'm thinking maybe 27?...."And he walks away.

As my friend Gabe would say, Who IS this jokester?
He's come in a couple times since then--he'll watch me from the counter for a minute before he moves on.
I usually avoid him.

3 comments:

  1. Dude. Might be a good idea to arrange for Slice to drop in on you some afternoon.

    What a WEIRDY.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Slice thinks so too. He gets pretty upset when I talk about this boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How are your voice lessons going? Is the piano working? I love the blog!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.