1.27.2009

So this is what it's like

I tried to get Slice to write this story, since it's really his story anyway. But after 48 hours I gave up, so you're stuck with my perspective yet again. Sorry.

Sunday night after Orange Julius and BYD, Slice and I went on a drive. It was raining here in town (weird) - snowing and foggy in Neola, we discovered. We returned to do some singing at my parents' house, and were almost there, when two furry creatures stopped us by running in the middle of the road. They were wet and cold and cute, trying to hop right in the car when Slice opened his door. We felt bad for them.

After some deliberation and cars wondering how to get around us, I drove to the house and Slice walked. The puppies followed him. We took them inside, played with and fed them, and called dispatch to notify The Dog Lady. (We've been calling dispatch a lot lately, it's fun unless they hang up on you.) They told us she would call first thing in the morning.

In the meantime, Slice didn't want to leave them with my family overnight. He was being really considerate and such...not to mention he's been wanting a puppy for some time now. We aren't supposed to have pets in our "apartment" but we brought them home anyway, with a kennel, and put them to bed before retiring ourselves. We didn't hear a peep out of them all night long! I was really surprised.
The next morning we brought the puppies along when he dropped me off at work. He was supposed to drop them off at my parents' until The Dog Lady came to take them to their owner. I say supposed to because if you read my last post, you know that he was texting me hours later, stuck in the bathroom with the dang puppies. He even slept in there with them for a little while. And when I called him at lunchtime, he had taken them up to the golf course with him so he could "get some stuff done." Apparently he wasn't getting much done around the house.
(I can testify to that!)

Slice picked me up from work at 3:30, puppies and all, and we finally dropped them off about an hour before we heard from the owner. Slice was still in slippers - hadn't showered or gotten dressed - because he'd had to watch the pups constantly so they didn't make all kinds of messes. When he told me this I laughed heartlessly, thinking Welcome to my future life, and also maybe thinking You are such a sweetheart.

He didn't cry when the owner took them away, but was a bit disgruntled by the lack of gratitude displayed. If you lost two children and someone graciously picked them up, took them home and cared for them for 24 hours, wouldn't you be grateful? If not, you really should be.

After all that my exhausted Slice made chicken noodle soup for a family he home teaches, because the mother had had surgery that day. This picture shows how he makes those fabulous noodles.

And now you know how sweet my husband is, how messy my house is (and why), and how heartless I am when it comes to Slice learning how a mother feels. I think it's really good for him to know, don't you?

1 comment:

  1. You should have kept them! They even look like smart ones.

    Also, Slice makes noodles? What the. I so got hosed.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.