1.14.2009

Act One

Scene one
Slice walks into the front room and rolls his eyes. I am curled up on the couch with New Moon, a blanket wrapped around my shoulders to keep warm.

S: “Reading again?”
J: “Yeah.”
He starts to make dinner, chatting (interrupting) me intermittently.
S: “So I just want you to know, I do have self-discipline.”
J: A suspicious thing to say. “Um…okay. Why did you just say that?”
S: “I just wanted you to know.”
J: “Right.”
S: “Well...I only played Zelda on the Wii for an hour, and that was AFTER I finished three quizzes and did some other homework.”
J: “Wow. Good for you.”

Later I join Slice in the kitchen, but bring my book along. He rolls his eyes again.
J: “Aghh!”
S: “What?”
J: “This book is so intense.”
S: “Why?”
J: “She is so stupid! She’s going to drown herself! Also there’s werewolves.”
S: “Huh?”
J: “You heard me.”
S: “Vampires and now werewolves…all that satanic stuff huh?”
J: “Oh, stop. I know that you want to know what’s going on. You can’t even fake it.”


Scene 2
After dinner, Slice washes dishes (bless that man) while I read on the bed.
S: “You’re going to be late for mutual.”
J: “I have to finish this chapter.”
S: “What’s the difference between taking breaks between chapters and taking a break in the middle of a chapter?”
J: “I’m almost done! I only have two pages left!”
S: “You are going to be late for mutual because you’re reading….at least I have self-discipline.”
J: “Excuse me? Fine. Let’s go right now.”
S:“Let’s.”

Scene 3
After Mutual. Slice finally takes a good look at my book.
S: "Wow! Have you been reading all day?? You're almost done with that."
Me: "No I did not read all day. I had to WORK, you know."
He calls two brothers while I read some more; we talk and get ready for bed. I’m in a sarcastic mood, though (I think) not more than usual.
S: “So, am I more like a vampire or a werewolf?”
J: “Werewolf, definitely.”
S: “Why?”
J: “Um…you wouldn’t understand. You’d have to read it to understand. I can’t explain.”
(At the moment he’s holding my cold hand with his very warm one. He he he.)

S: “This book is changing you.”
J: “What? It is not. I’m always like this.”
S: “Whatever. So I watched Scrubs today—“
J: “Oh ho! You watched Scrubs AND played the Wii? Self-discipline indeed.”
S: “Hey, I watched it while I was doing math homework. And anyway, there’s a doctor on there named Dr. Dorian. Did you know that?”
J: “Yes I know that. You’ve told me that like 5 billion times.”
S: “Whatever.”

6 comments:

  1. pretty much all three of those activities i indulge in. though the wii i prefer to play mario kart against brian because sometimes i beat him BAD. Scrubs is a show brian and i have no self-control with. and books... i think you know how i am with books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretty much think this is hilarious! The only thing that is different than mine and Cade's situation is that he fell asleep while I was reading on my shoulder, and he watched the first movie so all through the book I kept giving him a play by play! I think that's hilarious! Cracks me up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I pretty much did the same thing with all four. Tally started hating books during this time in my life because I think she felt like she was being ignored, even when I read them out loud to her. Can you believe that? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good books... I know how you feel! I'm reading the first 12 chapters of Midnight Sun now and trying to take my time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my i thought this one was hilarious as well. i cracked up at every scene. i have no self-discipline either.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.