1.19.2009

A day of firsts

If I had known, years ago, that I would marry a professional golfer, I probably would have studied up a bit. Hit balls at the driving range. Insisted my brothers take me golfing with them. It seems unnatural that the wife of a pro could have gone so long without ever playing a game. (Like 21 years.) And after spending most of my life near a golf course! The shame.

I think Slice would like me to be his project someday, that oh-so-glorious "someday" when we "have time" for such things.

Saturday was the first step. Slice had planned a trip to the driving range with his brother (also a golfer) and wanted me to come along. My trepidation was not easily masked. But, I hit some balls, and took some pictures before hiding my face in shame because Slice’s niece was showing me up.

(OK, I didn’t hide my face in shame. She earned it.)

No pictures of me yet, just The Slice and the Amazing Niece.

What a babe!


That night we picked up my parents and paid seven dollars for parking, which was totally worth it. I was angered at the Internet for telling me that Siegfried's closes at 5:00 on Saturdays - when it totally doesn't! I missed out on Schnitzel and Spaetzle because of you!

Anyway, Slice attended his first opera and we enjoyed it, although it was vastly different from all the operas I have seen before. My favorite parts were the random choruses (such rich harmony!) and of course the last scene, in which Zan's aria almost made me cry.

Afterward Slice and I drove home (arrival time: 2:00 a.m.); the closest thing to a review Slice gave me was at the beginning of the drive.

Slice: "I liked the story, and the music was cool and stuff, but it would have been better as a musical."
Me: "Babe, you read the program, the only difference between a musical and an opera is the vibrato."
Slice: "Exactly."

So, from this I gather that Slice doesn't care much for the opera vibrato...everything else is fine.
I know, right?

2 comments:

  1. Do we know each other? Sorry, now I'm wondering because my husband LIVES for Utah golf, we're in Austin now though... he worked at Uinta in Orem and played college golf at Dixie. Yall shop at Uinta?

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.