12.03.2008

for Family Night we


Put plastic in our windows (per our $75.88 gas bill), we'll see if it does anything.

Ate our classic dinner (spaghetti squash and sausage).

Put up our little borrowed tree.

Finally pulled out my massive Nussknacker from Vienna! It's been sitting in my hope chest for two years. I bought it my last week in Wien at a Christkindlsmarkt. *sigh*

Cracked walnuts (ahem) and made ornaments.

Lit the tree.

Totally used a blanket we got as a wedding gift for a tree-skirt. Thank you Shar.

Admired the finished product.

Slice: "When we have kids, we can tell them that we were so poor our first Christmas, we made our own ornaments out of walnuts!"
Me: "Yeah, we could. Only the 'so poor' part would be a lie."
Slice: "So?"

4 comments:

  1. So festive and pretty! I especially love the stocking right in front of the TV.

    Also, methinks you should offer your recipe for spaghetti squash and sausage. Never heard of such a thing, but it sounds/looks delish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to! The meal is probably the easiest thing you could ever make, and it IS delicious.
    I poke holes in the squash and microwave it (in a glass dish, with a little water in the bottom) for 25 mins. Then I cut the squash in half, scoop out all the seeds, and scoop in some cooked sausage.
    The Italian sausage we tried this time was my favorite so far.
    You can put butter on it before the sausage - but we decided it wasn't really needed.

    We used to take the squash out and eat on plates like civilized people. But, it's more fun to eat out of the shell. Especially since less dirty dishes are created.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just squash and sausage (and butter, for me, because I add butter every chance I get)! That's awesome. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute tree! I love "first" Christmases! And the plastic will help. We had to do that too, everywhere we've lived. I know you'll miss the drafts, though?!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.