12.09.2008

Flying Solo

I guess I signed up for this, so I can't complain.
But just so you know - if Slice ever dies and we have children, I will be remarrying just as soon as I am able. Call me insensitive. I do NOT want to be a single mother.

A couple months ago, a former teacher/ward member approached me to ask if Slice and I would be willing to babysit overnight while he took his wife on a romantic getaway, to celebrate their anniversary. I said I thought that would be fine. This family has six energetic boys, the youngest barely a year....but I knew that Slice would be done at the golf course by then (hallelujah!) so we would be all right. He IS better with children than I.

We talked about it and decided to go ahead and try.

A couple weeks ago I reminded Slice of our upcoming adventure, and discovered that he was planning to play in a St. George golf tournament the same day. (We have some work to do in the planning department.) A pretty important one, too. But I was not about to back out of a commitment we made months ago.
Slice: "It will be good practice for you!"
Me: Glowering. "Good practice being a single mom?! Don't ever say that to me again."
(I have some work to do in the meekness department.)

And so it was that Sunday afternoon I arrived, pillow and clothes and a secret stash of chocolate to assuage my sense of coming doom. I knew from our get-acquainted dinner that the baby clings to mom, #5 climbs on the table,#4 can pick his nose with his tongue, #3 and #4 look almost identical, and that the noise level in the house is not generally below a dull roar.

It started within an hour.

The baby was sleeping and #2 decided to play the piano loudly.
Me: "Please don't play the piano, L is sleeping."
#2: continues to play
Me: "Don't play the piano please, you'll wake up the baby."
#2: ignores
Me: "#2. You want to watch the baby for the rest of the day?"
#2: plays even louder. "Sure."
Me: "I don't believe you. Stop."
#2: still doesn't stop
I went to the piano, pulled his hands off and the lid closed. He fought me while I held it down. Then played again when I left the room later.
(The baby woke up.)

Later, #3 came in and pulled up his shirt, showing deep red scratches on his back which came from #2. When I went downstairs #2 started throwing blocks at me and at his brothers, which resulted in wrestling matches and crying. (Pretty much everything in that house results in wrestling matches and crying.) But I didn't yell until dinner, when #2 threw FOOD at #4, who threw it back. And still the only thing I could threaten with was "you won't get a snack tonight." The snack on schedule was ice cream.

Yesterday the baby was sick, runny nose and all. Once I answered the phone, took a message, and when I found him he had opened the prescription toothpaste and dribbled it down the living room couch onto the floor. Thank heavens for microfiber. Another time I took a phone call (should have learned my lesson) and walked into the kitchen to find #5 standing on the counter, licking his fingers as he scraped the frosting off a donut in the off-limits corner. I had already told him several times not to get on the counter.
The snowstorm created an outlet as well as freezing hands, fights over snowmen, crying babies and a delayed return home. My MIL brought over some new toys for them to play with...which was great until they fought over those, too.

About an hour before the expected return time, I announced that it was time to start cleaning up. The boys had thrown cars of all sizes around the living room and down the stairs. To my announcement, #2 replied "No." And my eyes burned a hole through his body.

Well, I wish.

When the parents returned home, mom asked #5 if I had been nice to them. I scoffed inwardly. She never even asked if they had been nice to me.

And now I remember why I always hated babysitting growing up. Sure, I could handle my seven younger siblings. Neighbors assumed that I was a natural. And I was, if you consider an I-can-handle-any-crisis-your-kid-can-dish personality "natural." But I never had the real skills - or the desire - to watch anyone else's kids.

So I told my husband last night that 1--I don't ever want to have children (that was a lie, yes) and 2--if he dies before our children are grown, I will find me another man without a second thought. And then leave him at home while I go to law school.
(Well, I just added that last part.)

Man, do I miss my man.

10 comments:

  1. was that for armstrong?
    .....haha....it sounds like it....
    just cause you never mentioned a problem with #1 and ceston is very well behaved....
    joshua does have all the energy in the world and fits the scenerio!....
    and that baby is definatly a clingy one....
    haha....i was their cousins nanny for a year and a half down in AZ....and have watched those kids various times (always multiplied with more cousins....try 12 at a time on temple grounds)! that'll keep ya busy
    but i love those kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel you on all counts, except the getting remarried one. I'm working on that.

    You are an adventuress, and I think you'll like your own kids better (at least, that's what I tell myself).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same problem. I can watch my younger siblings just fine, partly because I'm okay threatening them, but other people's kids are a completely different story. Hopefully when the kids are yours it's a bit easier (maybe that's not the right word).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg--you're a trooper. I would have. . . well let's just say I wouldn't be blogging about it after the fact :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Babysitting is the worst job in the world. I just don't get along well with other people's kids or something. The last time i babysat for somebody in my home ward, it was a complete fiasco. Two of the kids have behavioral/psychological things going on and the third, the oldest, was jealous of the attention they needed. Whenever the two were finally (FINALLY!) playing contentedly without fighting, she would always do anything to disrupt the peace. Their poor mother. so stressful. And then the girl randomly decided to "mop the floor" while i was playing with them and told their mom when she got home that she mopped the floor while i watched and didn't make the other kids do anything. What the weird?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like an adventure...all i can say is have you heard of Love and Logic...I think it would have helped you out on your babysitting bergade(spelling?) Give them choices...Your own kids will be much better for you I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two things, well, three:
    1st - YIKES ;)
    2nd - I hope you were well compensated for your time. If not, send a bill!!
    3rd - aren't you glad to know that your kids WON'T be like that? Ever?! To anyone?!!!
    I must say that I've always thought the best part of babysitting is the ride home!! Glad you survived ;) And to refer to a previous post . . . perhaps those kiddos need a good old fashioned spankin' every now and then?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the picture of Slice with the childrens.

    Word verif: selesses
    Sounds like a Bible name?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought you would have had plenty of practice with all the siblings! I was just thinking back to my days of babysitting today and I really am fortunate. I only had one disaster experience.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Super intense babysitting. It should be a reality tv show. Fun to stumble upon your blog-- saw your comment on fig's blog, a friend of a friend. ;) have a great day! Amber

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.