12.04.2008

The Making of a Diva


Last night I went to the local Zion's Bank tree-lighting ceremony.
Every year the elementary school choir puts on a little show, singing a few Christmas songs and waving at camera-laden parents. The cute kids filed in wearing an assortment of Musical Mustangs shirts, Santa hats and well-worn jeans.

One girl pranced in wearing tights, heels, and a frilly pink dress made of velvet and chiffon. Her hair was a trendy A-line bob curled in large ringlets away from her face, showing off big dangly pink earrings. And to top it off, she was wearing....makeup.
I threw up a little in my mouth.

I kept staring at this girl wanting to think she was little-girly and cute. But she wasn't. All I could think was she doesn't look precious, she looks RIDICULOUS. What are her parents thinking? Do they know they're creating a little diva monster?

I don't think any second-grade girl should be allowed to wear makeup. There are more than enough messages today that tell her looks are all that matter. Girls need to grow up thinking they are beautiful for who they ARE - not their sparkly lips and perfect haircuts. One time when my dad heard me talking about how pretty other girls were, he asked "and how much time do they spend making their insides beautiful?" I realized that my personality, compassion and accomplishments mattered much more than my outward appearance.
But you could probably tell that just by looking at me.

1 comment:

  1. Gross.

    And sad.

    Mostly gross.

    Also . . . I have to confess that I totally don't "get" the Twitterpated pedophile thing. I've been trying to understand it all morning, and I got nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.