12.02.2012

Semi-Formal

This week was Newfield's Annual Holiday Party.  Apparently I never wrote about last year's?
We got a fancy invitation sometime in October with the words "SEMI-FORMAL ATTIRE" printed right on it and we joked about it for weeks.  What does semi-formal mean?  What does it mean to you?  What does it mean to oilfield workers?
And ... there's the rub.

Semi-formal to me (and the rest of the internet) (see, click on every one of those links) means dressy.  "Pants to avoid are tights, denim and khakis," etc.  I've probably had this drilled into my head more than most, for which I will be forever grateful.  (Thanks Mom! And Grandma! And Dad!)  I will always ALWAYS overdress for an occasion, not only for etiquette's sake but because I like to.
I don't know about you, but I don't have that many opportunities to look fancy.  So I'm gonna go ahead and take advantage of those opportunities.

Anyway.  I wore a lavender knee-length dress, Slice wore a pale pink dress shirt and slacks.  One guy wore a white zoot suit, probably as a joke.  We three were part of a very small minority.
Almost everyone else - hundreds of people - wore jeans.

The dinner was much more enjoyable for me this year, mainly because I wasn't 9 months pregnant. I could eat and sit and move and laugh ... and sleep afterward!  Without ingesting a whole bottle of Tums first!
Last year there was a comedian, this year the entertainment was a ventriloquist.  It would have been much more entertaining if we had been able to see the guy and/or his puppet.
Oh well.
Another year down.

I'm thinking of dressing even fancier next year.

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny! Gershom said that semi-formal for Newfield workers means no pajamas. By the way I didnt mean to leave you behind at the breakfast with Santa, things got crazy I guess, sorry!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.