12.08.2012

Letter to Emma

My dear Emma Grace,

A year ago today I held you in my arms for the very first time.  I saw your thick dark hair and your beautiful fingers and your sweet little cheeks and I fell in love.

Your birth was nothing short of miraculous, Emma, and I'm not exaggerating when I say it changed my life.  After an incredible labor and delivery I held your perfect body, I felt your precious spirit, and I realized for the first time what it means to be a daughter of God.  What it means to be His greatest creation, woman.  You and me.
Oh, how I want you to understand that!  You are beautiful and kind and smart and important, and although I know you'll forget it, I promise to keep reminding you.  Life as a woman will never be easy - wasn't meant to be - but it will be so much easier if you remember who you are and what you are doing here.

You have us wrapped around your finger, little girl.  Especially your dad.  (He's been calling you Princess from day one.) You were the happy ending to a really hard time for our family, the daughter we talked about even before we got married.  You are our sweetheart, our peacemaker, our keen observer.  You continually delight us with your mimicking and performing antics.

You love your older brother more than anything.  You have a special laugh just for him, one that nobody else can get out of you.  He loves having you around to play with - if you'd only grow up a little faster!  You're a little socialite too, and will come find someone else anytime you realize that you've been left alone.  I'm pretty sure that is in your genes.

I pray every day that I can be the mother you need, that I can teach you what you need to know to be truly happy.  The older I get the more I realize how much I owe to my own wonderful mother, and I'm glad you have this woman as your grandma.  You'll learn a lot from her.

It's only been a year but I still don't know what we did without you. You've taught me more about myself than I would have thought possible.  We have so many wonderful things to look forward to!  I love you!

Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.