9.04.2009

Can't hide my Cougar Pride

Wednesday I went to watch my little sister and cousin run around the golf course. It was the second cross-country meet, third track-type event, I have ever seen.

First of all, I'm so impressed with people who dedicate that kind of time to running, something I have a hard time doing at all, and especially in public so that other people can see. If/When I exercise, I avoid human contact at all costs. Strange but true.
Second, they are competing. Emily shaved two minutes off her time from the meet last weekend - which is amazing - and if you recall, when I was her age, I couldn't run. Period.

Anyway.

A strange thing happened as I watched the runners go past once, twice, and then push on to the end. Parents, teammates and coaches cheered them on from all sides; I joined them as I snapped pics of Audrey and my sweet Em.

I started crying.

The emotion came out of nowhere, really, and I had to check myself to keep the tears from coming. You know, the quick-blink, hard-swallow drill that holds the weeping at bay. I had to do it for almost an hour straight ... Or else I would have been bawling right there on the sidelines.

This happened to me once before, at the one track meet of my life. It was the 2007 State Meet at BYU's outdoor track, and I was there to watch my brother Alex compete. Oh my heavens, I couldn't believe the emotions that boiled up as I watched those kids race toward the finish line.
Isn't that the strangest thing?

Finally, after swallowing and taking pictures and walking around a little, I told my mom that I was having a hard time not crying.

"Oh, me too," she said. "These things get me every time. I'm so glad I'm not the only one!"

Mystery solved. It's genetics.


2 comments:

  1. Plus, anytime you feel love and pride (the non-evil kind) at the same time . . . unlock the flood gates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so funny! One time I was in St. George, visiting a friend (before I was married) the same time of the St. George marathon. We went to the finish line for just a few minutes, and the same thing happened to me!! I didn't know a single person there or even in the race, but I had to turn away when I started crying. My friends would have thought I was crazy! Sure miss you guys! I am so grateful for the internet. I hope to post more on my bog tomorrow....I haven't had internet access since we've been here. Love ya....

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.