9.20.2009

Sunday Night




It's hard to say when it all started - everyone has a different perspective. And we've been singing around the piano as a family for as long as I can remember.
But we all know this: every Sunday night around 8:00, between twenty and fifty teenagers (yes, fifty) come to sing at the Eddington home.

Personally, I think it started that fateful day I made Matt sing Sally DeFord's Because He Lives while I played. Our ward choir was working on the piece, and I couldn't get enough of it.
A tradition was born.

Matt and I started putting together groups for musical numbers, quartets and octets, mainly because we kept getting asked to. Then I tried to convince all participants to make it a regular thing, to come sing at my house after the Institute fireside. I was determined to make singing cool in this little town of sports. So I made treats to entice, and encouraged all with undeveloped talents.
(At that point, I was pretty desperate.)

Well, it worked.

And naturally the drama ensued. You can't get a group of high schoolers together without having the relationship problems!
My piano skills improved along with everyone's singing skills; I was immensely pleased. Slice was one of my projects in the beginning (although I was afraid to call and invite him because his mother always answered the phone), and he became the Old Faithful of the group. First to come, last to leave. He says it's because he loved my family so much.

When I left for college, the torch was passed to Matt. His friends came and then Kiana's came, now Emily's and even Braden's come to "Sunday Night Singing." There may have also been a blanket invitation by the bishop at one time or another ...

We've gone from treats to no treats, the old house to the new, a capella hymns to Soft Rain, from Mom or me playing to Kiana, Christmas caroling to firesides, missionary meetings to an entire concert complete with parts of Handel's Messiah. There were even times when my family was out of town and the singers came anyway. One year my dad bought hymnbooks for everyone, and gave them out as Christmas presents.

Over time, we've turned out some pretty good singers!

It gets to be a real pain for the family sometimes, having to clean up before and after, worrying about parking and treats and chairs and dogs and noise and music. Fortunately the neighbors are very understanding. Still, it HAS been quite a sacrifice.

My dad always says sacrifice is giving up one thing for something thing even better.

9 comments:

  1. I was scared of Sunday night singing, because I had a crush on Brent and was totally intimidated by him. So there.

    However, I credit Eddington Sunday nights with making my Rob a (public) singer. I love you all for that.

    Also, I want to hear Slice sing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one of my favorite things that we did at your house! It was marvelous. I always hope that someday I can force -- no, encourage my children to become singers like this one day. And because your family has also convinced me that I want a large family, I am so excited! Your family really did have quite an impact on me, and it seems like your family has had an impact on Roosevelt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I tell you that my roommate and I are in the chorale thing? It's rad. Supposedly my fam is going to come to the concert wearing Christmas sweaters. :) I hope they get Harvey one too....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fig, did I ever know you had a crush on Brent? My memory is telling me no. Slice does have a nice voice, but, good luck getting him to sing for you. I'm still working on that.

    Rob, NO YOU DID NOT TELL ME THAT! I am so pleased. (A little jealous too. I miss it.) Isn't it wonderful?
    When's the concert?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I doubt it. It was so crushingly unrequited that I'm pretty sure I never discussed it with anyone. Brent, you heartbreaker you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must say, especially to Fig, Brent is a pretty HANDSOME, intimidating fellow! But after you get past the intimidation he is GREAT! I LOVE HIM!

    And to Rachel: I loved, and still do LOVE Sunday night singers even if I don't know more than half the kiddos that come! I pretty much love everything about it: love to sing, socialize, harmonize, and especially LOVE (and MISS) the family!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh P.S. Fig, I think I owe you WAY more quarters then I own.... you too I assume, so let's just call it even! :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.