4.17.2009

My dream job

In Henderson, we stayed in a beautiful home packed full of tapestries, dishes, artwork and furniture from all around the world. Seriously, you've never seen so many cool things in a space that small. It looks like a museum.

The owner of this home has a PhD in demography, and over the past few decades has traveled (lived) with his family all over the globe advising governments and businesses on their own infrastructure.
(At least that was my understanding.)

Hot dog!

I LOVE DEMOGRAPHY.
I didn't even know there was a demography degree, much less Masters and PhDs in it. I guess I figured the science was nestled somewhere between geography and history.

After I returned from Europe, almost every paper I wrote was geared towards demography. Birth rates, death rates, factors that have caused changes in family life are fascinating to me. I studied religions, wars, emigration patterns, living conditions, food. I read about the Turks taking over Austria not politically, but culturally. I wrote about the present phenomenon that is sucking the "soul" out of Europe.

You see, demography is everywhere. Whether you realize it or not, our families (or lack thereof) determine how our society is run. Demography begets marketing, begets business. It shapes world policies in hugely populated countries such as China and India. Some argue it will determine the next world superpower - when the United States has fallen from that throne.
(Did I just say "when"?)

So anyway, I think I have found my calling in life.
Don't tell Slice. I don't know how many golf courses there are in Hong Kong and Cambodia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.