4.30.2009

But I AM recommending this

I watched Steel Magnolias for the first time last night, as I waited for Slice to come home from work.
I think it's cliche by now, but I still loved it.
A delightful blend of family and life experiences...
just enough of them to make you think about your own.
Love and loss are all part of the game here, you can play them well, or they will play you.
I think sometimes we forget that.


I've been reading this book for what seems like three years now. It's actually only been three weeks, but it's taking forever because this is not one of those books you can breeze right through. Every paragraph, every sentence, is simply packed with substance. I've never seen writing like it.
Bragg writes about life and death and suffering and love, beautifully, as someone who has seen all of it. His total lack of pretension - abhorrence of it - is so refreshing, I can't even begin to explain.
I've always had a hard time with people who think they are better than everyone else.
(That's probably my favorite thing about living here in Roosevelt.)


Anyway, there are too many good quotes to post here, so I'll just recommend the book.
But you don't have take my word for it! (Did you hate it as much as I did when LeVar said that on Reading Rainbow every time? Oooh, I hated that.)

There you are, a movie and a book. "The both."

3 comments:

  1. wow. that example chapter was so involved. my goodness. let's have a bookclub because I love all the books you read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, that would be fun.
    I've never been in a book club before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I DID hate it when he said that at the end of EVERY Reading Rainbow! In fact, it's one of the reasons I can't watch that show to this day ;) So glad I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.