4.09.2009

Breaking Spring

Earlier this week I was telling my husband that he's not very good at surprises.

"What do you mean?" he asked.
"Well, I don't know, you just go about it the wrong way...." I mused. It's hard for me to explain. For someone who loves surprises as much as I do, there is just something about him that makes me skeptical, even irritated, when he doesn't tell me what he's up to.
"Well, you haven't surprised me that much either." He countered.
"Fine, I won't plan another surprise birthday party for you then," I said, "And I'll certainly stop buying you flowers."

This came up because Slice made the plans for Spring Break. All he would tell me was that we were going to Ogden, might be making a temple trip, and would definitely be doing some golfing. I was not very happy about it.

"How did you get off work?? Do I have to take off work? Are you just going to skip class? When are we coming back? Will I need to get a sub for Primary? Should we take our perishing food next door?"
"Don't worry about it," is all he would say.

The Ogden part was fine - although I was still depressed about missing out on Angie's baby - but I got more exasperated with every question he waved off. And even though he'd told me I could find out by looking in the car's glove box, I refused to do so.
(It doesn't make sense to me either.)

Last night we got home late, and he told me we had to leave this morning by 7:00. I gave him the evil eye.
"You won't even let me sleep in?! If I'm getting up early just to watch you play golf, I'm gonna be ticked."
"Just pack." He said.
"I don't know what to pack." But I started anyway.
About this time, Slice left to get something out of the car. He returned and handed me a couple folded pieces of paper. I hesitated, then asked "You're sure you want me to open it?"

IT WAS A BOARDING PASS. FOR A FLIGHT TO LAS VEGAS AT 10:45 THIS MORNING.

Gosh, I'm a jerk sometimes. And I really don't give my husband enough credit.

He is the BEST.

Also, little Bella is a doll.

Turns out, Slice has to work all day tomorrow, Saturday and possibly Sunday. He concocted a (convincing) web of lies to keep me off the trail. All my family was involved too, and it totally worked. "Not good with surprises" my foot.

10 comments:

  1. How fun!!! What a great husband!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an AWESOME surprise! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just be sure to remember this AWESOME surprise next time he messes up ;) Then it won't seem so bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ditto with em....that threw me. i feel you should stop buying him flowers regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Serious...that is so fun! How long were you gone for? How fun! Can't wait for the post about the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was very thoughtful of him. I'm impressed. Have a good time in Nevada!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily, thank you!
    Rob, no I don't buy him flowers. That was a not-so-subtle (sarcastic) hint that he should buy ME flowers more often.

    Mean, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that the proper term would be that you are bad at letting people surprise you! :) Coming from someone that has tried to surprise you before it's harder then you would think. You just need to stop asking questions! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes Brit... yes. :) I was surprised this one actually worked. I figured she would have found out long before she did!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.