4.20.2009

Changing

Every once in a while something happens that reminds me I am growing old, one short day at a time. It is a sobering thought.
Last week, several of those 'somethings' happened.

Friday night I attended a wedding reception for a good friend from high school. A happy event!! Still, I was reminded of all the years I have watched her family at mutual, church and school activities; so much has changed since we moved in their neighborhood almost eight years ago. I think it's harder to see their family changing -their parents getting older- than it is to see my own. I don't know why this is.

Saturday morning, I sang at a funeral for my next-door neighbor, who passed away on Wednesday. She was a sweet sweet lady.
The last funeral I'd witnessed was my grandpa's, and there couldn't have been a bigger difference. Carolyn's was a small, sad affair conducted right in the mortuary. Her family and friends had hardly a word to say about her. (?!) When my grandpa died, we held a family meeting where we shared stories and lessons learned; it lasted for a few hours.
Still, Carolyn's funeral was a sweet reminder of the things I know to be true, and what great comfort the knowledge will be to me again...
(not that I'm looking forward to that time!)

Then Saturday night I watched Union's Promenade for the first time. I haven't been back since I was in it myself. Has it really been only 4 years?
Kiana looked gorgeous, and I was proud.


Finally, yesterday marked a YEAR since Slice popped the all-important question. (I wrote about that unexpectedness here and here.) I still stare at this ring all the time, like I can't believe it's really there. I can't believe it's all happened. And here we are, a year later.

*One thing I forgot to mention in those posts was that Slice never asked my ring size. He played with my rings often -none of which I wore on that finger- putting them on his own fingers. Little did I know, he was actually logging away the relative size so he could get the right one without asking. So sly.

2 comments:

  1. my darling ray,
    it is sometimes very strange to look around you at the people you were around so much, people in your classes, your ward, and know that they are growing up. sometimes i feel static. like i'm still 18, just graduated from high school, and that everyone else is getting older and not me. it *is* sobering, it is actually beautiful in a way that the only constant thing in our lives is change.

    kiana is beautiful, i love her hair and that color dress on her. hot dang! love it.

    missing you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiana looks beautiful in that dress! She is growing up so fast!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.