4.03.2009

It's a glitch

"Sometimes I wondered if I was seeing the same things through my eyes that the rest of the world was seeing through theirs. Maybe there was a glitch in my brain."

Eleven pages into Twilight, I can already tell how melodramatic Bella is. (Or how profound Stephenie Meyer was trying to be, I'm not sure.) I was thinking get a grip, girl throughout the entire series. She never did.

The idea, though, has been rattling around my own brain ever since, probably because it reminded me of one of my own epiphanies. I once discovered that my eyes see different colors.

Left eye - more subdued, bluish messages
Right eye - vibrant, pink/yellow

We can talk about my amblyopia later.

Realizing this made me wonder - do I see the same colors everyone else does? How would I know if I didn't? How would anyone know, for that matter? What about those poems we wrote in 4th grade describing colors in "feeling" words?
My perception of reality shifted.

I’ve returned to this concept recently, because sometimes, I feel like I just don’t get things that everyone else does. Things like .... well, things.

I read a LOT of personal writings: blogs, books, magazines, letters. I am always intrigued – and befuddled – by people who write about objects. Clothes, Shoes, Accessories, Furniture, Antiques! I don't understand the obsession. Some of them make me smile (CJane’s odes to her pink skirt, for example), a few make me covet. Most make me think, "I missed Consumerism 101."
I don’t like stuff.

I don’t really follow fashion trends (they’re trends, why would I want to follow them?); I dash in and out of the grocery store, grabbing only what’s on my list. I rarely shop for clothes, shoes, or makeup, and even then I stick to the basics. I never buy dishes or plants or decorations. I find it hard to justify eating out; I hate superstores and catalogs and sidewalk sales.
I guess it comes down to this: I hate spending money, especially when it's not necessary.

The material, to me, is immaterial.
Sorry Etsy.

5 comments:

  1. Lucky you! Better for the budget. :-)

    You and I are basically extreme opposites here. I love spending money; it's soothing to my soul. Pretty things brighten my mood. And people (like my dear brother) who are terrified of parting with their hard-earned cash drive me nuts. It's for spending, folks. Money has no value beyond what it can purchase - hanging onto it does you no good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about that, money for money's sake is worthless. I hate money too.

    But what I was trying to say is that I'd much rather spend money on, say, vacations, than a new piece of clothing every week. My 4 months in Europe? Unforgettable. The clothes I bought there? Gonna wear out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard/read something recently that I thought was so profound. Wish I could remember where I saw it.

    "Buy experiences, not things."

    Good, right?

    I've been trying to implement that, because I tend to shy away from large purchases (like vacations) while waxing giddy over small ones (like shoes). That's probably a little backwards.

    Then again, I'm married to a "things" guy. He's not into traveling or spending money on anything intangible. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm by your side with it all (even the amblyopia!)...except for spending on the decorations. It's my weakness. I could spend $1,000 at IKEA, Ethan Allen, etc and not feel the least bit guilty. Thankfully, I have self-control.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not into things other. My very studentish apartment is proof of that. I take whatever I can get and I also only go to shopping for specific things, though I do appreciate beautiful things (I just don't personally consume them). I like how you write and I'm equally (if not more) impressed by your blog. I've added it to my reader. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.