8.04.2012

Prodigal

One of my favorite Bible stories is the parable of the prodigal son.  
The younger son demands his inheritance and squanders it in riotous living.  Then it all catches up with him.* Far from home, starving, having "spent all", he finds himself wishing he could eat the husks he's feeding to pigs.


Luke 15:17 And when he came to himself, he said, How many hired servants of my father’s have bread enough and to spare, and I perish with hunger!


There are so many wonderful lessons to learn from this parable, but one line that I keep coming back to lately is this: he came to himself.
Has that ever happened to you?

I can think of several times in my life when I've had to "come to myself."  When I've started losing perspective and making bad decisions; gotten caught up in various wars of words and opinions and emotions; forgotten to do some of the things that make me ME.   From the life-changing awakenings to the trivial triggers, I've been reminded and awakened and recommitted.

Most recently this happened while I was hiking with Slice, my two older sisters and their husbands at Aspen Grove.  As we trekked through some of my favorite scenery in this world, I wondered HOW it's been over four years since I've even been on a hike. Four years! I'm no crazy outdoorswoman (you know who you are), but I spent my first 20 years going on multiple hikes every summer - why haven't Slice and I ever hiked together?


I don't know, but I'll tell you, it won't happen again.  
Until we're old and tired and need hip replacements, that is.


*This is why I love the Bible.  Real consequences for real jerks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.