12.16.2009

Book stuffs

*a sort of follow-up to this post from May

About a year ago I tried to read the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield. You've probably heard of it. I say "tried" because I stopped after a few chapters, I felt like I was getting dumber by the minute. The series is incredibly popular here, but the premise bothers me even more than the writing does. Aren't teenage girls already obsessed enough with beauty and fame and money? (Don't I have to pick up Seventeen magazine from the couches every day?)
(And didn't I just watch another commercial for plastic surgery last night? "You owe it to yourself." Gag me.)
Anyway.
Is my opinion unfair? Is the series worth reading? Does anyone know, or even care?

At the beginning of this school year I read Jane Eyre for Tay, and Little Women for Linnea. They were my late-summer sunshine-soaking books and I loved them both. I read the last few chapters of Jane Eyre in bed, wiping my tears on Slice's sleeve while he slept. That was before the pregnancy hormones took over. The end was beautiful, just beautiful.
Little Women made me wish I had married an old German professor. Sort of.

Read The Great Gatsby for the first time, isn't that hard to believe? Slice said he had to read it in school. The writing was truly incredible but I had a hard time following the dialogue; I don't speak the vernacular of the easy '20s. Or the upper class, for that matter.
I also didn't get some of the "symbolism" that was mentioned in the Preface (which I read afterward, I hate spoilers). Apparently such complexity is over my head.

I stopped reading for a while because nothing sounded good. I kept checking out books and taking them back a few days later, unopened. But when we got to the airport I panicked. So Slice and I stopped at the ridiculously-priced bookstore and bought The Lost Symbol for him and Wuthering Heights for me.
I've never seen Slice so engaged in a book. Heck, I've never seen him sit and read a book, period. (Thank you Dan Brown! Where can I get more??) I had to force him out of bed some mornings just so we could leave the hostel. And one time I woke up at 2:00 a.m. to find him reading in the dim light of the Kyoto Guesthouse.
Good times.

I didn't like Wuthering Heights as much as Jane Eyre - we must compare them, right? - because it was darker and much more heartbreaking. To me. Also, I didn't identify with the characters as well; they were all so disturbing. Stills I liked the book.

And ... The Hunger Games sat in my purse/suitcase throughout the entire Japan trip. I turned it back in without reading so much as the first page.

Now I need something else. Any suggestions? What have you been reading lately?

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad we share the same love for Jane Eyre. One of the genre's finest!

    Slice, I'm also a devoted Dan Brown fan. A trendy craze, yes, but worth all of the attention. We'll have the Da Vinci code waiting for you on your nightstand during your stay here, although I think you may like Angels and Demons more. I also think that you would enjoy the Grisham legal thrillers.

    I'm currently tackling the same project of reading popular "classics" that people tsk tsk me about when I admit I haven't read them. Ender's Game, Emma, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde are on my nightstand, though very neglected with the holiday festivities. I just finished re-reading Farenheit 451 and How to Win Friends and Influence People - two books that will NEVER get old.

    Bret (a new convert to the reading religion, like Slice) highly suggests Peter Pan and The Count of Monte Cristo.

    Hope my rambling helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get so conflicted about Dan Brown. All the literary people make fun of him, but I find his books really exciting. Huh.

    IT IS ABOUT TIME with the "Little Women". Only the best book of all time (tied with "To Kill a Mockingbird").

    I like birth books, but they're not everyone's thing. I recommend "Pushed" if you want to try one.

    David Sedaris is really funny if a bit (okay, a lot) vulgar. I'm taking a bunch of books on the plane to Hawaii, so I'll have more recommendations when I get back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suggest checking out Hunger Games again... once the third book in the trilogy is out. That way you won't have to wait to read all that goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, you will enjoy _Wuthering Heights_ even more the second time. That is almost a promise. And you can't compare it to Jane Eyre - Charlotte and Emily were so different in personality there is no way their idea of great literature could be similar. You should also read the poetry of the Bronte sisters. Very vivid.

    I read Jane Eyre for the first time when I was 11. And I read Little Women when I was 7. I'm glad that you are catching up. :) And I cry through the end of Jane Eyre, too. She is such a silly girl who grows into such a wise and powerful woman. And her heart finally doesn't get her into trouble.

    Read lots of Dickens. You will understand the social context now so much better than you did in high school. This will make his novels super funny. I laughed through Great Expectations the last time I read it because I understood his jokes finally. Very dry humor. Love it.

    I think you would like _War and Peace_.

    Oooo - The Tipping Point. I'm reading that right now and now I want to read all of his books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there! Noticed you'd been to my blog, so only fair that I read yours too! I really enjoyed both Hunger Games books, might consider giving them another try.....I have them, you're welcome to borrow! (I could just toss them across the street to you!) We book lovers need to stick together, I too have a husband who doesn't read....sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just thought of this, you might be interested in looking at my niece's blog: everydayreading.blogspot.com

    Most of her posts are about books, mostly young adult because that is where her emphasis was, but lots of other good ideas for reading pop up there as well. It's really pretty good! (She majored in Library Science and mastered in Information Studies and is a librarian now in Boston.) Worth a look at least.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Miriam! Thanks for the suggestions! We readers really do need to stick together...

    Elle, Slice has read Da Vinci code and Angels and Demons, unfortunately it was before I could watch him do it. Maybe I'll try to get him on some Grisham. :)

    Tay, I love you. I loved Great Expectations, but I read it when I was 15 so I should probably read it again. Just need my book boxes from my in-laws' garage...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently read "The Wedding" by nicholas sparks and absolutely LOVED It! You could check it out and see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I'm so glad you loved Little Women! Isn't it wonderful? Just such a good, wholesome book. I think I'm due for a re-reading.

    Unfortunately nothing is coming to mind for reading recommendations right now. :-( I've been so busy this semester that I haven't touched any books! Tragic. I do have a little list of recommendations I have gotten from other people here and there, but since I haven't tried them I hesitate to pass them on.

    Oh and Laurel - I just reread Fahrenheit 451 a few weeks ago - (so take that back earlier about not having read at all this semester, I guess) - Anders' class at school was reading it so I read it one night while I was at my parent's house with nothing to do. Forgotten how great that one was. Always leaves me wondering what book I would decide was important enough to memorize...and what books I'm ashamed to say I have basically memorized already (Ballet Shoes, anyone?)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh PS - I read the Uglies series.
    The first book took me a while to get into. Once I did, I liked it well enough. It was interesting.
    Each of the following books was worse than the one previous to it.
    Surprisingly, the one I think I found the most interesting was The Extras, which is sort of a parallel book (Tally makes an appearance toward the very end) but had a really interesting idea technology wise. I saw some interesting commentary in it about how today's world is - with things like myspace and facebook, and how things haven't really happened until they have been validated and posted about through a social networking site.
    But um, I really wouldn't waste your time on those books. There are lots of better things out there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just to defend Scott Westerfield - the point of Uglies is to convince you that beauty is not everything, and that everyone is beautiful just the way they are. You just have to get through the first book to understand that. Didn't want you to have the wrong idea :)

    Anyway. They are still written for 12-year-olds, so if you don't like that, don't finish the series...

    And Peter Pan is magical. I second the endorsement.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.