5.11.2009

Never have I ever ... or, Should I really be admitting this?

The following may give you license to hate me,
or at least think that I am un-American and uncultured or any number of other terrible things.
I know this because people have before.
-Inspired by Tay

I have never read a book by Mark Twain. Or John Grisham, Orson Scott Card, Laura Ingalls Wilder, the Bronte sisters, Louisa May Alcott. (I do love Charles Dickens, however, and Jane Austen and Madeleine L'Engle. I have also read an impressive number of Baby-Sitter's Club books.)

I have never seen a John Wayne movie. Not one! I also don’t really know who Clint Eastwood is. Couldn’t pick him out of a crowd if you paid me to.

I have never watched The Wizard of Oz all the way through. Have no desire to.

Speaking of, I don’t know what the Wicked hype is all about. Really, I don’t. Some of the music irritates me and I was FURIOUS when two girls sang a song from Wicked at their Seminary graduation. The gall! Just thinking about it gets me riled up again.

I hate a lot of Disney movies. This took me a long time to realize – and even longer to admit. Some of the titles on my hate list:
  • Pete’s Dragon
  • Pinocchio
  • Mary Poppins (shame! I know! It scared me when I was little)
  • Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
  • Fantasia
  • Bambi
  • Alice in Wonderland
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • All sequels to earlier movies (i.e. Cinderella II, The Little Mermaid II, Pocahontas II)

I have never watched an episode of American Idol. I’ve only seen two snippets, really; last year’s finale with Cook/Archuleta and an audition episode in 2005. I have also never seen an entire episode (or snippets in most cases) of ER, Scrubs, The Simpsons, Lost, CSI, Grey’s Anatomy, Saturday Night Live, Law & Order, Gilmore Girls, Gossip Girl, Desperate Housewives, Heroes…
You name it, I probably haven’t seen it. It would be easier to tell you what television I have watched in the last five (or so) years. Am I really missing anything?

I read the newspaper every day, cover to cover, until I get to the Sports section. Then I skip right over it unless something happens to catch my eye. Like, anything with “BYU” or “Y” in the headline. He he he.

So what do you think?
Where should I start?

7 comments:

  1. Well, first of all, the Brontes are British. So whatever. And you'd love those books - Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, Villette, etc. Really. It is even more fun to read them when you understand the cultural background.

    Those Disney movies... I don't think you need to un-hate any of them. It's unnecessary. I prefer the fun ones, like "The Emperor's New Groove" and "Toy Story." The singing isn't as weird.

    Dickens is British, too. I really hope you already knew that.

    You may or may not like Gilmore Girls. I love it, personally. I don't know why. Maybe because Rory is a book worm and goes to Yale? sigh... I don't think you'd like any of the other shows you listed. You would, however, like "Yes, Minister" but it's British and that much more hilarious. It's also something you can only watch on DVD as it's a really old show. "really old" = "1980s"

    Please read Tom Sawyer BEFORE Huckleberry Finn. And then you can be on my side and think that Tom Sawyer is the better of the two. Both, however, are worth reading.

    does that help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tay! Of course I knew they were British...that's why I added the 'uncultured' part to my disclaimer. And those books are on my To-Read list, I just haven't gotten to them yet.
    The list grows longer every day.

    Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you take law & order off the list of tv shows (i used to watch it with my dad in high school)....i could claim the same thing! i don't have a clue what ANY of them are about... (to which my in-laws are very disappointed in me....sometimes i think they only claim me cause i now have control of one of their grandbabies)
    but i'm not a tv person at all....tv/movies kind of bore me.

    i dont like tv, so we've never had it, in consequence i never see any commercials to know what new movies are coming out....and i dont care....i really dont like going to the movies.

    although i would have to say i kinda enjoy the office....sometimes i watch the old episodes online, but that was before i had my baby.....i had a lot of time to watch old price is right episodes online too!

    and for me, i would add shrek to your list of despised disney movies....i HATE that movie. i've never watched pinocchio all the way thru. and yes sequels are the WORST!

    i've decided to start buying the old tom & jerry cartoons (and other similiar shows) on dvd and have available for my kids someday....

    sorry i didn't mean to write a novel....i just really agree....i never realized how much more than a name we had in common before reading some of your blog entries!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, you NEED to see John Wayne, and a great movie for that is the Quiet Man. One of my dad's favorite.

    Second, how dare you hate Mary Poppins. She is "practically perfect in every way."

    Third, Toy Story & Shrek are not Disney movies.

    Fourth, if you are going to start watching TV now, you should start with "Saved by the Bell." Then move on to heavier fare.

    Fifth, I agree with you about Pete's Dragon & Pinocchio. You gotta be high to like those movies.

    Last, you did not mention what newspaper you are reading. I would hope you include some New York Times and Chicago Tribune. If it is just the DezNews, you are missing a lot.

    TTFN.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm..I'm with you on the TV shows. I haven't seen most of those. We um, don't even have TV. I mean, we have a TV, but we can only watch movies/play nintendo on it. We don't get any channels - not even local ones. Oh, and whenever I catch parts of Law and Order or any of those shows on at the gym, they are just too graphic and violent for me. They give me nightmares. Just from seeing 15 minutes.
    Anyhow.
    The only problem I see with everything you've said is that you haven't read anything by Louisa May Alcott. I demand you read Little Women. I haven't read it in ages, but I loved it when I was younger.
    I love Madeleine L'Engle too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your recommendations. Leia, I am going to read Little Women simply because you demanded it - that's kind of what I was hoping for. :)
    TR, Saved by the Bell would be a great place to start. Dorian is always appalled that I don't know what he's talking about when he makes Saved by the Bell references.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wouldn't hate you unless you proclaimed you loved Twilight. Then I would.

    Start out with Gilmore Girls. (I can't believe you lived with Gabe for how long and don't love GG's?) Everything else is luxury. Like the others said, SBTB is classic. That and Boy Meets World are must-see.

    "Great American Literature" bores me to tears, so you're on your own with that, sista. I hated Little Women. Loved the movie, though. I'm pretty sure you'd love it... I'm just picky.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.