8.31.2009

the post I wanted to write on my b-day

Because my birthday has always coincided with the beginning of a new school year - and because until recently, it conveniently categorized my past into gradeschool years and semesters - school has basically defined my life.
I often think of my past birthdays in the context of the stages of life that accompanied them: finally entering Young Women's, finally getting to date and drive legally, finally knowing where I was sending a missionary to, finally being packed and ready for Europe, finally giving up hopes of any birthday surprises and/or presents.
(That was this year. It took me long enough!)


Five years ago, I fancied myself in the middle of a Senior love triangle. The details are juicy but not really relevant to this post. Looking back, I'm thinking I should have just counted myself lucky and enjoyed the ride while it lasted. I was rather fortunate to have both dashing young men after me. And I did have a lot of fun with it. But still, the uncertainty of it all put me in a constant state of agony. Sleepless, restless, appetite-less (and consequently, weight-less) agony.
I am not the type who enjoys breaking other people's hearts.

So.

Early in August during Sunday night singing the boys - namely Slice, Rob, Matt, Drew, and possibly Niebs - started whispering to each other and giggling about an idea which soon turned into a plan. They would not tell me, or any of the girls, this plan, try as we might to guilt it from them. Little did they know that I KNEW EVERYTHING.

Weeks later I sat in my room, writing in my journal, debating over my own plan of action. The boys were at their "secret party" (a sleepover in my old empty house, which I had known all along) and I wanted to play a prank on them ... but I needed willing female backup, because Matt was WITH those punks. Instead of making a fool of myself, I decided to go to bed early. And bitter.

The next morning I was picked up and whisked away to a farm, where there was a bona fide surprise party waiting for me. Shooting, fire, food, and friends. Someone brought Baked Lay's, knowing that they were my favorite chips. And Drew had even invited some South Jordan friends to this whole-day birthday surprise for me. I couldn't believe it.

Late in the day we ate birthday cake and parted; after dinner and family time, I went to get my gun from Drew's car. He wasn't home. I waited outside until he showed up, we walked to my empty house, and we talked, one of our typical late-night talks. I didn't get home until after midnight. And when I got there, there was a long yellow rose and a Snickers bar on my doorstep.
The next day, a vase of three pink carnations was delivered to my work.

Love triangles. Such messy, fun, exciting, stressful little things.

4 comments:

  1. Can't say I miss high school nor the drama...but I do miss the sunday night singing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I feel about this post. But I do know that I'm up for another love triangle right now......I'd even take the crappy corner this time.

    Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bree- Sunday singing misses you too.

    Rob- Ah ha ha ha ha ha.
    I don't even know what to say to that.
    (Except,
    1. Did you know all that? and
    2. What happened to all those hot wife points you earned on the mish? Surely they'd earn you something better than the crappy corner.)

    Your comment made my day....still laughing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um...my memories of those 2 days are (understandably) less clear than yours. I feel like you told me about the flowers and talk with Drew, but I just barely remember sending you flowers that time. Hardly at all.

    And no. The hot wife points system was a scam, and a lie. I worked hard for nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.