2.06.2009

Girls ask the guys, it's always a surprise

Yesterday one of our aides came in with a stack of heart-shaped sticky notes that he had pulled off his car. He was trying to unscramble the letters and make a name...but (I figured out within seconds) he was missing a couple letters.

Oh the dangers of asking someone to Sweethearts!

One year my friends and I decided to go to Sweethearts as a group. Instead of pairing off, we asked several guys and all went together, saving everyone involved some unnecessary stress. (Well, except for me, because it was my idea and I did most of the planning - and we ate at my house.) We even made kind of generic posters to do the actual asking.

Jackie and I had this genius idea to decorate the last guy's car while we were all at a band concert. She asked around beforehand to find out what car he drove, so as soon as the last song was over, we flew out to the parking lot with the poster and bags of Valentine's candy in hand. We ran around the dark lot (in heels and long skirts!) for a while before we found the car, threw the stuff on it, and hurried back to the gym. Hardly anyone noticed that we had left.
So the waiting game began.

At school the next day, I wondered why people were talking about me. There were at least three other names on that poster; how did everyone know that I was the mastermind??

At lunch time I was finally informed that we had decorated the wrong car. Not just any wrong car, but the car that belonged to the new kid in school. A new kid I had never talked to. And now all he knew about me was that I had wrongly asked him to Sweethearts! Nice to meet you too, J-Nelly.

I let the word be spread that the new kid could come with us if he wanted to, because we weren't going to be evenly matched up anyway....but I received word back that he had declined. (I don't blame him.) So I was left with the task of calling the boy we tried to ask in the first place - I think Jackie and I 3-way called him actually - and he declined as well.
Awkward!
He wanted to come with us, he said, but he was going out of town for something. Still awkward.

In the end, we had a great party (of course) at my house, where we had a scone-making contest and took pictures on the couch before going to the dance. All four boys and what? Six girls?
I can't remember exactly. I don't even remember the dance.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, who's J-Nelly? That's a really funny story. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's Jason Nelson, poor kid. I don't think he's ever liked me much.

    We were trying to ask Nathan Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 's alright, Nelson's a bit of a putz anyway.

    I think he's the one who came up with the nickname Undress-a-Tressa.

    Nice, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is hilarious. glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.