2.23.2009

Good Blog/Bad Blog

One of our English teachers asked for my help in preparing a lesson about blogging. So far I have compiled a list of "good blogs" to show the kids, to demonstrate the extensive possibilities as well as the importance of GOOD ENGLISH SKILLS in Internetting.

(I just made that a verb.)

The good blogs list was easy to come up with, but now I need a list of not-so-good blogs, and I'm not sure how to go about it.
Any suggestions?

Seriously, So Blessed is replete with errors, but they are intentional. Not really what I'm going for (except to say "kids, when you write poorly, other people make FUN of you by writing sarcastic blogs like THIS"). If I use personal blogs, how do I find bad ones? I'm trying to steer clear from people I actually know and might offend.

If you have any ideas - or better yet, bad blogs you can share - let me know, will you?
Thanks.

Speaking of good blogs: If you've never read Apron Stage, you should at least once. My favorite posts are here and here. And here. And here. I'll stop now.

7 comments:

  1. I know a couple... they're pretty bad. I want to die when i read them. sorta. i'll email them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, exactly, is a "bad" blog? One that's boring? Poorly-written? I can find lots of those.

    Blogging has multiple definitions in our culture. There are REAL blogs - like the ones on TIME's top 25, for instance - and then there are Mormon mommy scrapblogs. And then there are a bunch that are somewhere in between. So it's kinda tough to figure out how to define a BAD one, since they all have different objectives.

    If they're full of typos, errors, horrid ideas, bad judgment, racism/homophobia, and extra exclamation points, they are filed under "Bad" in my brain and I avoid them. (And might I add that MOST of those are Mormon mommy blogs. Shocking, right? Not.)

    Anyway. There is a point. I can show you plenty of blogs with crappy writing ... but are you going to show those blogs, in their entirety, to the students? That could be awkward.

    Bad design would be an easy one to target. I hate blogs with tons of cutesy prints and designs all over them, making them hard to read. Or with dark text on a dark background or light-on-light - also hard to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precisely my problem, Fig...what is "bad" and how do I present it?

    I think I've decided to stick to poorly-written ones for the purposes of the English class. And I probably won't show them in entirety. I can take snippets and make them into a collage or a PP presentation, whatever works best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think msn.com actually did a top 10 worst blogs. You might be able to search it and the article will come up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have another to add to your list, if you still need one. RIPE with gramatical errors! Makes me cringe EVERYTIME I read it, yet I continue to go back. Kinda the trainwreck effect, I guess . . . Let me know if you need the link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just get on xanga.com and start browsing. You will find one in about 2 minutes.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.