11.18.2008

Water off a duck's back. Water off a duck's back.

I am often surprised at how easily offended some people are.

That even the most personal, unassuming decisions somehow become a personal affront. A call for change is a denunciation of everything that currently stands. It's like everything turns into a moral issue.....and I don't understand.

I’ve wondered, is this especially common in a small town? Or do I just see it more because of where I live?

Perhaps I should be used to it by now. A few times during my school years the grapevine found its way to me, bringing the revelation that “so-and-so doesn’t think you like her.” My bewilderment invariably resulted in days, even weeks of rethinking everything I'd ever said and done, wondering how she could even think that. Then I would try harder to go out of my way, to be more friendly, to show how much I liked everyone.

Because I did – do – and why shouldn’t I?

I thought that only teenage girls were insecure enough to play those games. I wish I had been right.

I have opinions, but I don’t force them on anyone else. I evaluate carefully. I like to be asked what I think. My parents never talked about politics at home and when I finally asked them why, my father said, “Because I want you to form your own opinions.”
I love him for that. And I respect his opinion even more because of it.

So I have this philosophy that goes like this: Give others the benefit of the doubt. Don’t get offended unless someone attacks you personally and intentionally....even then, most of the time you should let it go. And don’t involve their family, friends, or acquaintances. It's not fair to assume guilt by association.

I keep hoping that someday, these silly little battles will cease.
After all, there's a much more important war going on on.

2 comments:

  1. I hope so too. Perhaps I should start by not instigating all the little battles I do . . .

    Don't sweat it, man. It's all good. At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is compassion. If you've got that, you're golden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and how awesome are your parents? SO. AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.