2.15.2015

the UBOC

There's a new thing in the Basin, an audition-only orchestra and choir that is under the great umbrella of the USU-UB extension.  They've put on a few concerts over the last year and a half; in December my Mom, Aunt Lana and I decided to try to join.
The last time I auditioned was for BYU's Concert Choir (didn't make it - it was a strange and terrible audition), so I was expecting to be nervous. Glory be! I wasn't.  I made it in, even with a less-than-perfect sightreading performance, and my family members did too.  We geared up for the first 4-hour rehearsal in Vernal on Saturday, January 10th.

Friday night we gathered to talk carpool. Then Mom got a text from Kiana saying she and Sheldon were in a serious car accident and in the hospital.  My parents left almost immediately for the 1 1/2 hr trip over the mountains to Price.

The next day during rehearsal, I sang as my phone buzzed over and over in my lap. Texts from Mom and Dad and Ki, showing damage to their car and detailing injuries, marveling that they were even still alive.  I muddled through Cindy while Dr. Craig Jessop stood four feet from me (shorter than he looks on TV. conducts with a weird wrist flick). (Completely delightful to sing for.)

Thou gracious God, whose mercy lends
the light of home, the smile of friends,
our gathered flock thine arms enfold
as in the peaceful days of old.

Wilt thou not hear us while we raise
in sweet accord of solemn praise
the voices that have mingled long
in joyous flow of mirth and song?

For all the blessings life has brought,
for all its sorrowing hours have taught,
for all we mourn, for all we keep,
the hands we clasp, the loved that sleep.

The noontide sunshine of the past,
these brief, bright moments fading fast,
the stars that gild our darkening years,
the twilight ray from holier spheres.

We thank thee, Father; let thy grace
our loving circle still embrace,
thy mercy shed its heavenly store,
thy peace be with us evermore.



 Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., 1869

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me.