2.09.2015

Gathering Speed

Sometimes, it's hard to write.  Sometimes it's harder to not write.  And sometimes I've been not writing for so long that it seems impossible to start writing again.

Lately, in my mind I've been picturing life as a huge hill.  A mountain, maybe.  But I'm not trudging up it, I'm rolling down it on wheels, gathering speed.  It's exhilarating and terrifying and I don't know how long the ride will last, or what will happen along the way, or how I'll do everything that I need to do. I'm clinging to my loved ones in the hopes that we all make it through in one piece.

Over the last few months I was "officially" diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder.  My thyroid is fighting itself, and as far as anyone can tell, it's slowly dying.  The main effect I have is exhaustion.  I get easily overwhelmed, occasionally dizzy, my hair falls out, and I can't stand anything touching my neck. But mostly it's the exhaustion.  I can't do everything I want (and need) to do, and that bothers me.

The oilfield is suffering now too, and although Slice's job seems secure, we know the industry is unstable.  We've been saving for many months but feel like we can tighten our belts a little more, in case things don't get better in the near future.  Thank you Dave Ramsey for motivating us to have a 6 month emergency fund. The peace of mind it gives is incredible.

In other news, we had a delightful Christmas break at home with family.  After a miserable Thanksgiving holiday, it was just what we needed.  I sang in the annual Messiah performance, and had a few solos, and I was pleased with them until I watched the recording on our camera. (Me to Slice: "Don't ever record me singing ever again. Ever.")
Emma had a super-fantastic birthday and then she potty-trained in about 3 days.  Hallelujah!
Emma;s birthday cake.  I'm a slacker ok?
the singing crew
On Christmas Eve we continued our tradition of a progressive dinner, including a musical program at the assisted living center nearby.  Slice didn't even get yelled at by any of the residents this year.


There's always more of us than there are of them.  It's awesome.
Nativity at Lana's this year.  None of my kids were naked or violent!  We're making progress!
 Christmas Day we got to Skype sweet Em, who was giggling at everything and crying at the rest.  Her Spanish sounded great to me!


Now, let us not forget my Lex, my precious chubby snuggly baby girl.  All she got for Christmas were bath toys and socks. She didn't even care.
This girl was crawling at 7 months and walking at 10.  She is now growing out of her 18-month clothes.  Girl can eat.  I love that about her.



1 comment:

  1. I love when you blog. :)

    Your children are all so darling! Looks like a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.