3.05.2009

The Power of Suggestion, Mind over Metabolism, or, More than you ever wanted to know about my eating habits

A week ago I bought myself a BYU jacket (a graduation gift to me! I'm so happy). I tried several on and found, to my surprise, that the ones that fit me best were all size small. Even the larger children's ones would have sufficed, if looks didn't matter.
Sunday I hopped on the bathroom scale and looked at the smallest number I can remember seeing - ever. Since before I cared what the bathroom scale said.

What is this?

In high school I was healthy, but not athletic unless you count the Stagelight shows (from which I did, in fact, lose 4 lbs. in one day despite eating ridiculous amounts of food). Then when I moved away from home and started paying for my own food, I started noticing the eating habits of those I shared a fridge with. It drove me crazy to see good food -sitting, rotting, forgotten- when I was living off bagels and string cheese. For me, "healthy" came second to "cheap," especially for those few weeks I tried to live on $5/week for groceries. Saving up for Europe, you know.
Anytime I got free food, I ate it. Junk food, salad, leftovers, I did not discriminate.
You see where I'm going with this.

When I spent four months in Europe, our host family fed us breakfast every day plus one evening meal a week. Sundays we ate dinner as a group in Dr. Jacobs' apartment. My roommate ate like a bird, and I didn't want to offend Frau Hartl, so I ate myself sick at least twice a week. Usually more.

I found that when I when to bed stuffed, I woke up RAVENOUS. Like my metabolism went into hyperdrive at night. Every morning, I would jump out of bed and head straight for the table, afraid I would starve before making it to the food.
(Okay, I wasn't afraid I would starve. But I thought it was a possibility.)
Hardly a good thing for the figure.

I got back and nothing tasted as good, but my mindset bordered on obsessive. I thought about food constantly. I'd pack a lunch in the morning, think about it until I ate it - before lunchtime, often - then I'd go to work hoping there would be treats there. I was rarely diasppointed.
I jogged several times a week, swam, even took an aerobics class, but nothing made a difference when I was thinking about food all the time. By the time I was engaged to Slice, I had only lost about 5 pounds from my Vienna days.

Then, miraculously, I stopped caring about food so much. I ate what I wanted to, when I wanted to, and I just kept getting skinnier! My wedding dress was too big, my college pants don't fit me anymore.
It's like Slice solved all of my food problems!

So.
I've been thinking about my compulsive eating habits, the stressful times that drove me to eating more junk, even when I knew it was just stress driving me to eat. Those times are pretty much gone now.
The stress isn't necessarily gone, but the relationship and school stress is.

And I'm thinking that the life changes which resulted in my weight changes are inextricably connected with my emotional well-being. My metabolism is happy when I'm happy.
At least that's my theory.

Thoughts, anyone? Chocolate cake?

7 comments:

  1. Story of my life. Sort of.

    You know I have food issues (everyone who's ever read my blog knows that). It's a cycle for me. Right now I'm on the good end of the cycle and hoping to stay here forever.

    I gained almost 60 pounds my first semester of college. I'd dropped about 20 of them when I met Dizzle. In our first year of marriage, I lost the other 40 and got waaaay too skinny. Then I promptly gained the 60 pounds back. Then I lost more of them, and gained them back, and lost them again, and so on and so forth. Now I'm a size I like, just a little smaller than I was when I got married.

    Anyway. The moral of the story is this: being a newlywed does wonders for the figure. Some figures, anyway - mine, and obviously yours. Enjoy it while it lasts and please don't ever let yourself become obsessive. It's not worth it. Life is better than food, and size doesn't matter nearly as much as many of us think.

    The end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I've noticed how fabulously slim you look in the pictures! Rock on. Can't wait to see the effect in person when we go on our golf double date in May (we're still doing that, right? Right?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry, this is the last comment. It's just that I keep going back to the post and seeing more things to talk about.

    So, your theory. It's totally my theory too. Happy heart = happy stomach. I really believe that. I don't think it's the metabolism so much as it is that unconscious eating (what you want, when you want, as you said) is inevitably less food intake than obsessive eating. You are right on. And the power of suggestion you mention is the real deal too. I suppose that could be a metabolism thing - but I really believe that when you THINK you're slim, you are slim. Positive thoughts beget positive results. If you like yourself and are none too worried about your weight (losing OR gaining), you will look good.

    /threadjack

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, we're still doing that. I can hardly wait!
    We may have to tear Slice away from the pro shop...this summer is looking even worse than the last.

    He's coaching the girls' golf team this year, we just found out. That should be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish your body would teach my body what's going on. The happier I am, the more I weigh. Argh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey i have gained like 40 lbs in the last few months, but i guess thats completely different....
    nevermind

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.