3.11.2009

Wherein I ruminate on the Important Things in Blogging Life

An unfortunate (or fortunate?), perhaps inevitable, effect of blogging is the one-sided relationships it nourishes. Oh wait - that’s the internet in general.

Here, I choose what to write about, how and when to write it. You choose what to read. But since I don't know who is reading, when, and what they’re thinking as they’re reading, it often feels like less of a conversation and more of me rambling about things no one else cares to know.

You’re still reading, right?

So I’m wondering today about how blogging affects real-life relationships. (Slice has been disgruntled on multiple occasions that he learns more about me from the blog than from ME.) If you don’t know me well, reading this might help you get to know me better. Or it might just give you strange ideas.

For example: sometimes I try to be funny on my blog. I don’t know if it works, obviously, because I can’t hear if you laugh while you read. Away from my blog, though, I don’t try to be funny very often. (Unless I’m with Matt or Em, and Matt’s gone. My personality just dropped like 20 points.) I’m the one who is always laughing at others, not the one making them laugh.

For another example: I’m a pretty quiet person, period. I've always wanted to be outgoing and friendly, but it has never been easy for me. I don’t know if this comes across in my writing. I like to think of myself as “reserved” – shy has such negative connotations, doesn’t it? – but actually, I’m more easily intimidated than I would like to admit. In fact, almost everyone intimidates me at first. Sometimes it takes quite a while for me to get over it.
(Sorry, roommates. And in-laws. It's not you; it's me.)

Anyway.....
In the interest of full disclosure and/or dispelling any possible myths, I have compiled a list of random facts that should give you a good look at the inner workings of my soul. Most importantly, they will show you what a boring person I truly am.


  • I’m vain about my: hands and feet. I have the best-looking fingers, toes and nails I have ever seen. I inherited them from my lovely Grandma Eddington. Does anyone know how to become a ring-model? Anyone?
  • I’m a little vain (but VERY critical) about my: voice, hair and figure. Ahem.
  • I used to be vain about my: handwriting. When my name changed, my signature went down the drain. My cursive has never been as good as it was in 6th grade.
  • I LOVE popping blackheads. Zits are OK, but blackheads are the best. Anytime I see one I get this overwhelming urge to squeeze it. Sorry about that, um....everyone.
  • I never take nail polish off of my toes. Too much work and bending. I rarely paint my toenails in the first place, but when I do, it stays. Until it chips off or my nails grow all the way out. I think that bothers my husband.
  • I get really offended when people make derogatory comments about my driving. Slice.
  • I participated in Mock Trial in both 7th and 8th grade. I wasn’t a great lawyer, but I was an awesome expert witness - voted best witness by all three judges in one trial.
  • I love funny people.
  • Doesn't everyone?

3 comments:

  1. Story of my freaking life. Readers know more about bloggers than the bloggers' best real-life friends.

    You do have nice hands. Blackheads are best for popping. Your blog makes me laugh a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I'm totally the same about my hands, my toenail polish, and I was even in a mock trial! lol. Except I was the defendant and helping my law school friend. We threw the prosecution through a loop - truly awesome. I wore a leather skirt and green velvet jacket. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laugh at your blog quite a bit, just so you know. Wasn't Mock Trial great? I was best attorney when my team won state in 8th grade.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me.